Dining Rooms, Lounge & Other Common Member Areas


The Clubhouse includes several common member areas available for use by all members & their guests. They include two dining room options, a lounge, a games room, a billiard's room and a library. There are also several locations around the club with comfortable soft-seating; perfect for a visit with friends or associates, or just to sit quietly and enjoy one of the many beautiful paintings in the Club's art collection.

A. E. Cross Dining Room:

The Club’s signature A.E. Cross Dining Room is known for being one of Calgary’s finest dining experiences. Located on the second floor, in the original 1914 section of the Clubhouse, this dining room offers a formal atmosphere enhanced by some of the Club’s best original paintings. Chef's a la carte dining room dinner menu provides a wonderful choice of members' seasonal favourites and many new items, including monthly dinner features. An experienced and knowledgeable Dining Room Manager welcomes members and guests in a warm atmosphere of sophisticated hospitality.

This room is named for A.E. (Alfred Ernest) Cross (1861-1932). Cross was one of the Club’s Founding Members and an earlier President, and one of Calgary’s Big Four who founded the Calgary Stampede in 1912. Originally, Cross moved to Alberta in 1884 from Montreal as a veterinary surgeon working at the Cochrane Ranche. By 1886 he had his own A7 Ranche, which today still remains in the Cross family, run by fourth generation Ranchmen’s Club member, John Cross. A politician (MLA for East Calgary), businessman, and brewer; A.E. Cross established the Calgary Brewing and Malting Company in 1891, the first brewery in what was then the Northwest Territories. He married North West Mounted Police Commissioner Col. James Macleod’s daughter, Nell (Helen), in 1899, and they had several children, including their daughter Mary named after Nell’s mother, for whom the small private room adjacent to the A.E. Cross Dining Room is recognized.

The dress code in this room is Business Attire.

Wolves Den:

The Wolves Den is the Ranchmen’s Club’s casual dining area and serves as the Club’s bar, with complimentary hors d’ oeuvres during After Four Fridays (4:30pm to 6:30pm). Open six days a week, with an all-day a la carte menu and luncheon buffet option Monday to Friday, and breakfast menu and all-day a la carte menu on Saturday, this recently redecorated room offers a variety of seating and table styles, including dining, banquettes and cocktail tables and chairs.


Donated by architect Michael Everett Evamy (1991) and fabricated by Rubaiyat Stained Glass Studio (Calgary), the window treatments found on the three, north-facing windows in the Wolves Den, incorporate design elements representative of CPR rail lines, train wheels and the original railway car dubbed The Wolves Den, in which early 1880’s ranchers met for socializing and cards. This railway car is where the idea of a permanent Ranchmen’s Club was born. Photographs of some of the founding members in that same railway car are displayed between the beautiful stained glass windows. All new pieces of artwork added to the Club's collection are showcased in the Wolves Den, before being relocated throughout the Club. Some of the Club's most impressive larger paintings hang here.

The dress code for the Wolves Den is Business Casual


Samson Lounge:

The Samson Lounge is a multi-purpose lounge and bar located on the second floor, servicing the three private dining rooms, A.E. Cross Dining Room and Mary Dover Room. Complete with a variety of groupings of soft-seating and a beautiful gas fireplace, this lounge is an ideal spot for small intimate receptions of up to 30 people, as well as for pre and post dining cocktails.With the dedicated art gallery quality lighting , this space features a good portion of the Club's art collection.

Named for Herbert Samson, a founding member of the Ranchmen's Club, he was an original investor in A.E. Cross's Calgary Brewing and Malting Company, and an officer in the Alberta Stockgrowers Association. In partnership with fellow Ranchmen's Club founder, H.W.L. Harford from 1886-1895, he owned the Bar XY Ranch. Known as the best polo player in Fort Macleod, the Oxford-educated Samson was from a British family prominent in banking. At the onset of the Boer War (1899) he sold the ranch and volunteered to serve in the Imperial Yeomanry. At the end of the Boer war he remained in South Africa to farm.


Billiard's Room:

The Billiard's Room is a long-time member favourite. Located on the main floor, adjacent to the Wolves Den, it features three, turn-of-the century, 6' x 9' championship billiards tables. The north-end has card tables and a TV with full cable services to enjoy while having lunch from the "8-Ball Buffet" offered within the room during weekday lunch service.



 


Library:

Located on the main floor, in the south-east corner of the original 1914 section of the Clubhouse, this space is open to members for casual use - relaxing or reading books or magazines that are displayed in the room. There is a desk for quiet work. On occasion, this room is used for private functions; small receptions or dinner parties, that are booked through the catering department.